is a Spanish word for bacon. It is typically made of pork belly and often formed into cubes in Spain. Tocino is very popular in the Philippines and served in breakfast or lunch. Tosilog or tocino,sinangag at itlog is a favorite and now can be found served at fastfood and in some restaurants. Due to the popularity of tocino, different variants evolved from the usual port ingriedient of tocino. One of which that stands out is fish tocino.
Fish tocino is cured filleted fish. Compared to meat, fish has less saturated fat and has unsaturated fat called omega-3 fatty acid. People who eat foods high in omega-3 have reduced level of triglycerides and reduces risk of arthritis, depression, asthma, and might reduce your risk of dementia. Fish also contains selenium, which reduces your risk of cancer.
Fish belongs to the same food group as pork meat. To make fish tocino, your fish fillet will undergo curing
process. Buying ready made fish tocino is easy, but making one is also simple. Just follow through the steps prepared this 2017, in order to make your own Fish Tocino.
How to Make Fish Tocino Step-by-Step
1. Prepare your ingredients: 4 kg fish (Freshwater fish choices are milkfish or bangus, tilapia, hito or carp), 1 tablespoon ground pepper, 2 cup soy sauce, 2 cup brown sugar and 6 cloves crushed garlic.
2. Clean the fish, remove the scales, remove the gills and abdomen. When done, fillet the fish into 10 cm length. Filleting removes the bones, as it is not part of fish tocino.
3. Chop garlic, and add soy sauce. Mix with brown sugar and pepper.
4. Pour the mixture over the prepared fish fillet in a vessel. Marinade for at least 6 hours.
5. Finally, form the fillet into thin patty-like shape. Dry the fish tocino either by warm air or sunlight.
6. Keep refrigerated to lengthen storage life.
Fish Tocino can be cooked by plainly cooking with oil by frying. Make sure to cook slowly on low heat. Fish tocino is already flavored with garlic and sugar, hence just turn the tocino upside down to avoid burning one side. Serve with sinangag and itlog for a perfect tocilog fish variant. You may also serve with tomato in fish sauce side-dish.